- Fish fillet(Rohu)-500 gm
- Mustard seeds-2 tbsp
- Green chillies slit-4
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Coriander seeds-1 tsp
- Black pepper(whole)-1 tsp
- Red chilli powder-2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-3 tsp
- Garlic cloves-15 pcs approx
- Ginger chopped-1 inch
- Tomatoes chopped-2 large
- Cooking oil(Mustard)-6 large tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves
For masala paste–
Put together the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic cloves, ginger, whole black pepper with 1 tsp of turmeric powder and little water. Grind it till it turns into a smooth thick paste.
- Clean the fish with water and marinate with 2 tbsp blended masala paste, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp of salt and set aside for 20 mins.
- Heat 4 tbsp of mustard oil and fry the fish from both sides till it turns brown.
- Heat oil in the same pan, when the oil is heated, add 1 tsp of cumin seeds,1 tsp of mustard seeds and 2-3 slitted green chillies. Cook for few seconds and let it crackle.
- Now add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tsp of red chilli powder in the oil and stir.
- Add masala paste into the oil and fry it for 5-6 minutes on low flame, keep stirring after regular intervals.
- Add chopped tomatoes to pan and fry till tomatoes turns soft.
- Keep frying the paste till oil starts separating from the masala.
- Add a glass of water in the pan and bring to boil.
- Add salt and fried fish in the gravy.
- Cook on a low heat for another 4-5 minutes and turn off the the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with plain steamed rice.