Preparation Time maharashtrian pithla – 30 minutes
Ingredients for maharashtrian pithla:
- Gram flour-50 gm(4 tbsp)
- Chopped onion-1
- Green chilli and garlic (paste/crushed)-2 tsp
- (2 green chilli and 8 garlic)
- Curry leaves-5 to 7
- Green chilli(slit)-2
- Spring onion-25 gm
- Asafoetida(hing)-1/3 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Salt to taste or 1.5 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves-1/3 cup
- Water- 2 glass(500 ml)
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Sieve the gram flour in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2(150 ml) glass of water, keep mixing the flour while adding water.
- Mix it properly so that there are no lumps in the batter, batter is ready, keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add oil and let it heat.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and green chilli and fry it for few seconds on medium flame.
- Add chopped onion and fry it for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add green chilli and garlic paste, let it fry for a minute on low flame.
- Add turmeric powder, mix it and cook it for a minute on low flame.
- Add spring onion, fry it for a minute on low flame.
- Add 1.5 glass of water and stir it, cover the pan and allow it to come to boil.
- Open the lid and stir it, pour the batter in pan, keep stirring to avoid the lumps/curdle.
- Add lemon juice and salt, mix it well.
- Cover the pan, cook it for 10 minutes on low flame(keep stirring in between).
- Turn off the flame, add coriander leaves and mix it.
- Maharashtrian pithla is ready, serve hot with jawar/bajra ki roti or bhakhri.