Sambar Recipe-How to make Easy and Delicious Sambhar-Vegetable Sambar-Sambhar Recipe
Preparation time for sambar-45 minutes
Ingredients for sambar
- Toor/tuvar dal(washed)-150 gm
- Chopped bottle gourd (louki)-50 gm
- Chopped carrot-50 gm
- Asafoetida(hing)-1/4 tsp
- Chopped and peeled drumstick-50 gm
- Chopped green beans-25 gm
- Fenugreek seeds-1/3 tsp
- Chopped potato-1 (large)
- Chopped tomato-1 (large)
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Chopped onion-1 (large)
- Tamarind juice-1/3 cup
- Chopped garlic-8 to 10
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Sambar Masala powder-3 tsp
- Dry red chilli-2
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Put the dal in pressure cooker pan, add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 2 glass of water.
- Close the lid and boil it for 4-5 whistles on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the cooker cool down completely.
- Open the cooker, add all the chopped vegetables and one glass of water and stir it.
- Close the lid and boil it for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame, once the cooker cool down then open it and stir it.
- Turn on the flame and put the cooker on gas stove, keep the flame on low.
- Add red chilli powder, sambar masala powder, tamarind juice and salt to taste.
- Stir it well, cover the cooker and cook it for 3-4 minutes on low flame without whistle.
- Turn off the flame and keep it aside the cooker samber.
Tadka or Tempering:
- Heat a tadka pan, add oil and let it heat properly.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing, garlic, dry red chilli and curry leaves.
- fry it for few seconds and turn off the flame.
- Gently pour the tadka in cooked sambar, stir it and close the lid, keep it aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Sambar is ready to serve with plain rice, idli, dosa or vada.