Vegetable dum biryani recipe
Notice: class-oembed.php is deprecated since version 5.3.0! Use wp-includes/class-wp-oembed.php instead. in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4786
Preparation Time for veg dum biryani -60 minutes
Ingredients for veg dum biryani
- Long grain Basmati rice-350 gm
- Chopped potato-2
- Chopped french beans-100 gm
- Chopped cauliflower -100 gm
- Chopped carrot-1 medium
- Green chilli-3 to 4
- Chopped onion-4 (large)
- Fresh or frozen green peas-50 gm
- Chopped mint leaves-1/2 cup
- Chopped coriander leaves-1 cup
- Soya chunks -25 gm (Soak in hot water and squeeze it to drain the water).
- Paneer/Indian cottage cheese (cubes)-150 gm
- Curd/yogurt-350 gm
- Bay leaves-2
- Cinnamon stick-1 inch
- Black cardamom-1
- Green cardamom-4
- Shahi jeera/cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Shahi biryani masala-3 tbsp
- Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Food colour(orange)-1 tsp
- Ghee-4 tbsp
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Saffron-2 pinch(soaked in 2 tbsp milk)
For masala paste:
- Green Chilli-3
- Chopped ginger-2 inch
- Garlic clove (peeled)-12
- Mint leaves-1/3 cup
- Coriander Leaves-1/3 cup
Masala Paste Process:
- In a blending jar: put all the masala paste ingredients (mentioned above).
- Add 3-4 tbsp water and grind it into paste.
Onion Fry process:
- Heat oil, deep fry the finely chopped onions till it turns golden brown.
- Take out the fried onion on the kitchen towel to absorb extra oil.
- Put 2.5 litre of water in a pan, let it come to boil.
- Add washed rice, 4 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 1 javitri, 1 inch cinnamon stick , 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix it gently, cover the pan and let it come to boil.
- When the rice starts boiling, check the rice, it should be 70% cooked.
- Turn off the flame and drain the rice properly (you may remove the whole spices).
- Heat oil in a pan, add shahi jeera(recommended) or plain jeera and fry it for 20-30 seconds.
- Add potato, cauliflower and carrot, fry for 2 minutes on medium-high flame.
- Add green peas, paneer and soya chunks, fry for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chopped french beans, prepared masala paste and cook it on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, mix it well, cook it for 1 minute on low flame and turn off the flame.
Biryani Layer preparation:
- Take a deep and thick bottom pan, put the fried vegetables on the base of the pan.
- Add yoghurt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, biryani masala powder and green chilli.
- Put 1/3 of the fried onion on it, coriander leaves, mint leaves and 2 tbsp ghee, mix it well and level it evenly.
- Put 2/3 of the rice on it and spread it evenly, add 1 tbsp ghee, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of food colour.
- Add 1/3 (half of the remaining fried onion) of the fried onion, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Put the remaining rice on it, add 1 tbsp of ghee and saffron soaked milk on the half part of the rice.
- Add 1/2 tsp food colour on the other part of rice ( you may add kewra water and rose water for restaurant style aroma).
- Sprinkle remaining coriander leaves, mint leaves and fried onion.
Cooking process for veg dum biryani
- Seal the edges of the pot with foil paper, put a heavy tawa/lid on top of the sealed pot.
- Turn on the flame and put the biryani pot on it, cook it on medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to low-medium and cook it for 10-12 minutes.
- Turn on the other flame and heat a tawa, once the tawa is heated, transfer the biryani pot on it.
- Cook it on tawa for 10-12 minutes on medium flame, turn off the flame.
- Remove the foil paper carefully to avoid the steam.
- Serve in a plate, garnish with onion and lemon slices.
- veg dum biryani is ready to eat with raita or any of your favourite gravy.