Traditional Chole Recipe (chickpea curry)
- Chickpeas(kabuli chana)-250 gm
- Onion chopped-3 large
- Tomato chopped-2
- Kasuri methi-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Bay leaf-2
- Dry red chilli-2
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-2 tsp
- Chole masala/channa masala-1 tbsp
- Chicken masala-1 tbsp
- Garam masala-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil-4 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Soak the chickpeas in the water overnight.
- Boil the chickpeas in the pressure cooker with 3 cups of water,1tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt(3-4 whistle).
- Heat oil in a pan ,add bay leaf,cumin seeds,kasuri methi and dry red chilli. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and fry them till they become transparent.Add ginger garlic paste and fry it for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder,red chill powder,chole masala,chicken masala and mix well with onions.Once the raw smell of spices disappear,add chopped tomatoes and cook it for another 4-5 mins.Add little water if need.
- Turn off the flame and keep the mixture aside for few minutes.When they become cool,blend them into paste.
- Turn on the flame and boil the paste in the same pan,add boiled chickpeas along with stock.
- Add little water if you want more gravy,mash some chickpeas in the pan with the help of cooking spoon.
- Add salt and cook it for another 5 mins and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with bhature, puri or rice.
Note-The video recipe is slightly different from the recipe written above.