Hyderabadi chicken dum biryani recipe
Preparation Time for chicken dum biryani – 90 Minutes
Serving-4 to 5
Ingredients for chicken dum biryani
- Chicken (washed)-600 gm
- Basmati long grain rice-250 gm
- Curd-400 gm
- Chopped onion-3 large
- Green chilli(slit)-6
- Chopped coriander leaves-1 cup
- Chopped mint leaves-1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste-1.5 tbsp
- Shahi Biryani masala powder-3 tbsp
- Chicken masala powder (optional)-1 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Green cardamom-10
- Black cardamom-6
- Cinnamon stick-2 inch
- Ghee-4 tbsp
- Cooking oil to deep fry onions
- Saffron-2 pinch(soaked in 2 tbsp milk)
- Food colour(orange)-2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Add curd, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, shahi biryani masala powder, chicken masala powder, green chilli, 1/3 cup coriander leaves and 1/4 cup of mint leaves into the chicken.
- Add 6 green cardamom(crushed), 3 black cardamom(crushed), 1 javitri, 1 inch cinnamon stick and 4 cloves.
- Mix it properly and keep it in refrigerator for an hour for marination.
Onion Fry process:
- Heat oil, deep fry the finely chopped onions till it turns golden brown.
- Take out the fried onion on the kitchen towel to absorb extra oil.
- Put 2.5 litre of water in a pan, let it come to boil.
- Add washed rice, 1 tsp ghee, 4 green cardamom, 3 black cardamom, 1 javitri, 1 inch cinnamon stick , 1/2 tsp salt into the rice.
- Mix it gently, cover the pan and let it come to boil.
- When the rice starts boiling, check the rice, it should be 50-60% cooked.
- Turn off the flame and drain the rice properly (you may remove the whole spices).
Biryani Layer preparation:
- Take out the marinated chicken from the refrigerator.
- Take a deep and thick pan, put the marinated chicken on the base of the pan.
- Put 1/3 of the fried onion on it, spread it evenly.
- Add little coriander leaves, mint leaves and 1 tbsp ghee on the onion.
- Put 1/2 of the half-cooked rice on it, spread it evenly.
- Add 1/3 (half of the remaining fried onion) of the fried onion, coriander leaves, mint leaves and ghee again to make second layer.
- Put the remaining rice on it, add saffron soaked milk on the half part of the rice.
- Add 2 tsp food colour on the other part of rice ( you may add kewra water and rose water for restaurant style aroma).
- Sprinkle remaining fried onion, coriander leaves and mint leaves on it.
- Spread 1 tbsp ghee again and cover the pan.
- Make a stiff dough of wheat flour to seal the edges of biryani pot (you may use foil paper to cover the pan).
- Seal the edges of the pot, seal it properly so that steam does not come out when we cook it.
- Turn on the flame and reduce the flame to medium, put the sealed biryani pot on the flame.
- Cook it for 20 minutes on low-medium flame then reduce the flame to low.
- Cook it for 15 minutes on low flam.
- Turn on the other flame and heat a tawa, once the tawa is heated, transfer the biryani pot on it.
- Cook it on tawa for 15 minutes(first 7 minutes on medium flame and rest 8 minutes on low flame).
- Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- Cut the edges of dough carefully, do it very carefully to avoid the burn from the steam.
- Serve in a plate, garnish with onion and lemon slices.
- Restaurant style chicken dum biryani is ready to serve, serve it with raita or mirchi ka salan.