Egg Dum Biryani-Layered Egg Biryani-Anda Biryani
Preparation Time-40 minutes
- Long grain bastmati rice-300 gm
- Boiled and peeled egg-6
- Boiled potato-3 (optional)
- Curd/Yogurt -250 gm
- Shahi jeera/plain jeera-1 tsp
- Bay leaves-2
- Green cardamom-6
- Black cardamom-2
- Mace (Javitri)-1
- Cinnamon stick-2 inch
- Clove (lavang)-4
- Green chilli-2
- Chopped onions-4
- Chopped coriander leaves-1/3 cup
- Chopped mint leaves-1/3 cup
- Saffron(kesar)-2 pinch ((soaked in milk)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Shahi biryani masala-3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Food colour-1 tsp
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Ghee-3 tbsp
Ingredients for masala paste:
- Green chilli-2
- Ginger-2 inch
- Peeled garlic-12
- Chopped onions-3 (small)
- Coriander leaves-1/2 cup
- Mint leaves-1/2 cup
Masala Paste Process:
- Put chopped onion, coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilli, ginger and garlic in a blending jar.
- Add little water (1/4 cup) and blend it into smooth paste.
Onion Fry process:
- Heat oil, deep fry the finely chopped onions till it turns golden brown.
- Take out the fried onion on the kitchen towel to absorb extra oil.
Boiled Eggs and potatoes fry process:
- Prick the boiled eggs with knife and cut the boiled potatoes into two pieces each.
- Add little turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt in the eggs and potatoes, mix it properly.
- Heat little oil in a pan and shallow fry the eggs and potatoes for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Take out the fried eggs and fried potatoes from the pan, keep it aside for further use.
- Put 2.5 litre of water in a pan, let it come to boil.
- Add washed rice, 4 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 1 javitri, 1 inch cinnamon stick , 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add 1 tsp ghee, mix it and cover the pan, boil the rice on high flame until it is 70% cooked.
- Turn off the flame and drain the rice properly (you may remove the whole spices).
- Heat oil in a pan, add remaining whole spices and green chilli, fry it for 20-30 seconds.
- Add blended masala paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste and mix it
- Cook it for 2-3 minutes on medium flame, keep stirring in between.
- Reduce the flame to low and add curd into the masala(whisk the curd before use), keep stirring.
- Add shahi biryani masala and mix it, cover the pan and cook it for 3-4 minutes on low flame, turn off the flame.
Biryani Layer preparation:
- Take a deep and thick bottom pan, put the cooked masala paste on the base of the pan.
- Add 1 tsp ghee, half of the fried onions, fried eggs and potatoes on the masala paste.
- Put all the rice on it and spread it evenly, add 2 tsp of ghee on rice.
- Add saffron soaked milk on half of the rice and 1 tsp food colour on remaining half.
- Sprinkle remaining fried onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves on top of the rice.
Note: You may add kewra water and rose water for restaurant style aroma.
- Seal the edges of the pot with foil paper, put a heavy tawa/lid on top of the sealed pot.
- Turn on the flame and put the biryani pot on it, cook it on medium flame for 6-7 minutes.
- In the meanwhile turn on the other burner of gas and heat a tawa.
- Shift the biryani pot on tawa after 6-7 minutes of cooking on direct flame.
- Cook it on tawa for 10 minutes on medium flame, turn off the flame.
- Remove the foil paper carefully to avoid the steam.
- Serve in a plate, garnish with onion and lemon slices.
- Ready to eat with raita or any of your favourite gravy.