Rajma Masala Curry-Punjabi Rajma Masala Recipe
Preparation Time-40 minutes
- Rajma (Red kidney beans)-150 gm
- Onion-2 (Grind to make paste)
- Tomato puree-100 gm/1/2 cup
- Finely chopped ginger(lengthwise)-2 inch
- Chopped green chilli-2
- Grated garlic-12 to 15
- Grated ginger-1 inch
- Cumin seeds-1 tbsp
- Asafoetida/hing-2 pich
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder-1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Butter-1 tbsp (optional)
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rajma overnight and boil it for two whistle with 2 glass of water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder in a pressure cooker on medium flame.
- Separate the water from boiled rajma (keep the boiled rajma water for further use).
- Heat a pan, add cooking oil and let the oil heat properly.
- Add hing and cumin seeds into the hot oil, fry it for few seconds.
- Add grated ginger and garlic and fry it for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix it.
- Add onion paste and fry it for a minute on medium flame.
- Add tomato puree, mix it and cook it for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder and black pepper powder, mix it properly with masala paste.
- Cover it and cook it for a minute on low flame, keep stirring in between.
- Fry the masala paste till oil is separated from the masala.
- Increase the flame to high and add rajma stock (boiled rajma water).
- Add 1/2 cup of water and stir it.
- Add chopped green chilli, chopped ginger and boiled rajma into the pan.
- Add salt to taste(I had already added salt while boiling rajma).
- Cover the pan and cook it for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add garam masala powder, chopped coriander leaves and butter and turn off the flame.
- Serve in a plate, Garnish with coriander leaves, onion rings and butter.
- Ready to serve with plain steam rice, jeera rice or pulao.