Dahi vada recipe
Preparation time for dahi vada-90 minutes
Ingredients for dahi vada:
- Split black gram(urad dal)-250 gm(Soak it for 8-10 hours in normal water)
- Ginger(peeled and washed)-2 to 3 inch
- Green chilli-2
- Asafoetida(hing)-1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil for frying
- Curd/yogurt(plain/unflavoured )-700 gm(whisked)
- Green chutney
- Tamarind chutney
- Roasted cumin powder
- Tomato ketchup
- Black salt(kala namak)
- Salt to taste
- Bhujia sev for garnishing(optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Green chutney recipe video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDeO6D3roQ
Tamarind chutney recipe video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjtodYXJVQs
- In a grinding jar: add soaked urad dal, asafoetida, green chilli, ginger, cumin seeds and little salt.
- Add little water and grind it into thick smooth paste.
- Take it out in a bowl and cover the bowl and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a thick bottom pan, drop small amount of batter in hot oil to check the temperature of oil.
- Put one tbsp of batter at a time to make one vada, repeat the process to make all the vadas.
- Fry it on low-medium flame till it turns golden from both the sides(keep flipping).
- Prick the vada with fork to cook it from inside.
- Once the vadas turns golden, take it out on the kitchen towel and repeat the process to make remaining vadas.
- Put the fried vada in lukewarm water and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Gently squeeze all the soaked vada to extract the water from it and keep it aside.
- Put 2-3 vada in a serving bowl/plate and pour whisked or blended curd on it.
- Add green chutney, red chutney and tomato ketchup on top.
- Add roasted cumin powder, black salt, plain salt and little red chilli powder on the top.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sev bhujiya.
- Dahi vada is ready to serve.